Saturday, August 14, 2010

Beauty & The Brain

Have you met Marie Claire?

Allow me to introduce you. She likes fashion, the newest beauty scoop, and health and relationship advice. She also has a penchant for world issues concerning women, a drive to promote self-esteem in the every-girl kind of woman, and has - *gasp* - a brain.
 Photo courtesy of TheHollywoodGossip.com
I'll admit it: I've had my days on the plane with US Weekly and People. I dabbled in Cosmo in college. I always come back to InStyle on the newsstand. But Marie Claire is my go-to gal. The only magazine I've ever found that I literally read cover-to-cover, and think about certain pieces for days/weeks/months afterwards. The writers don't dumb down their articles to be in a 'girly' publication, and the interviewers print what's said to their faces, demure or not.

Photo Text: "Keep a high self esteem even after taking off your high heels. Marie Claire Magazine: It's stylish to be intelligent."
Photo courtesy of AdvertNews.com
Fave sections included in every issue:
*What I Love About Me: A random assortment of girls from the streets of a single city, their photo, what they like about themselves and why.
*In the Bag: A whats-in-my-purse for celebs - Fluffy, sure, but a peek into the lives of some pretty interesting ladies. This month is Christiane Amanpour. Don't you want to see what a CNN powerhouse has tucked away?
*Big Girl in a Skinny World: Size 18 Ashley Falcon gives a rundown of what works, what doesn't, and where to buy what looks great. Always a reminder that it's the presentation, not what the size tag says, that ultimately matters.
*Campaign: In-depth look at a women's issue that is crying out to be recognized and acted upon. It will make you mad. It will make you cry. It will make you want to DO something. And that's great.
Photo courtesy of theyrep.com
I could go on and on. Tim Gunn's column 'Gunn Laws'. The multi-page editorial fashion spreads that always include a 5 or 6 question interview with the model (yeah, she's a real person, not just a hanger! Wow!!). The 'Designer Dossier' featuring a different fashion mastermind every issue.
Natalie Portman graces the pages - Photo courtesy of socialitelife.celebuzz.com
But I'll stop. Go grab your own copy, tear out that annoying little sheet begging you for a subscription, and send it in immediately.




No comments:

Post a Comment